Short Answer: "Yes!"
Longer Answer: "Yes, Yes, Absolutely Yes!"
Should I read the paper? YES
Should I read trade books in my industry? YES
Should I read blogs, social media postings, online articles, etc about things related to my industry? YES
Should I read blogs, social media postings, online articles, etc about things UN-related to my industry?... Still YES!
It is no coincidence that the most important skill you learn in grade school is literacy.
If you are an MBA student you will read textbooks, trade books, articles. However, successful people never stop reading and learning.
SOME of the benefits of reading:
1. Makes you smarter
2. Requires focus
3. Improves your vocabulary
4. Improves analytical and reasoning abilities
5. Increases creativity and imagination
6. Provides opportunity to learn about current events, your trade, yourself, others, and ANYTHING you'd want to know about
7. It will make you more savvy in business, a better conversationalist and it may even help you find a mate if you're single.
Suggested Readings for MBA students:
1. This blog. (YAY! you already are reading it!)
2. The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business (I'm listening to this now on audiobook)
Check out this review of The Naked Sales Person courtesy of Creative80 Design Studio owner Anna DiTommasso
Creative80 Design Studios, a full service agency specializing in identity development, print creation, and web design. Anna is a self diagnosed idea addict and small business advocate. She is also a personal friend who I admire greatly.
Question for you to post a comment:
What are the 3 "Nevers" of your life?
1. Never regret the past
2. Never eat yellow snow
3. Never forget your toothbrush